After the Holidays, many try to focus on health. Maybe it is a new year’s resolution. Whatever the reason, drinking green once a day is easy. A personal brand that I have tried and like is this one and runs about 50 dollars. Feel good on the inside.
What Are Greens Powders?
Greens powders are dietary supplements that you can mix into water and other liquids.
They typically have a green hue and can taste a bit grassy. Natural sugar substitutes are often added to improve flavor.
Greens powders generally contain 25–40 or more different ingredients, which vary by brand. These commonly include:
- Leafy greens: Spinach, kale, collards, parsley
- Seaweed: Spirulina, chlorella, dulse, kelp
- Other vegetables: Broccoli, beets, carrots, tomatoes, green cabbage
- Grasses: Barley grass, wheatgrass, oat grass, alfalfa grass
- High-antioxidant fruits: Blueberries, raspberries, goji and acai berries
- Nutritional extracts: Green tea extract, grape seed extract, ginkgo biloba extract
- Probiotics: Lactobacillus (L.) rhamnosus, L. acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis
- Plant-based digestive enzymes: Amylase, cellulase, lipase, papain, protease
- Herbs: Holy basil, astragalus, echinacea, milk thistle
- Mushrooms: Maitake mushroom extract, shiitake mushroom extract
- Natural sugar substitutes: Stevia leaf extract, monk fruit extract
- Extra fiber: Rice bran, inulin, apple fiber
The produce used in these supplements is generally dried and then ground into powder. Alternatively, some ingredients may be juiced, then dehydrated, or certain components of the whole food may be extracted.
A newer trend is to sprout or ferment ingredients, which increases vitamin levels and helps break down compounds that can interfere with mineral absorption (3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).
The formulations are often vegan, as well as non-genetically-modified and organic — but check the product label for these details.
Prices of greens powders range from 22 to 99 cents or more per scoop (about 10 grams or two tablespoons), depending on the specific ingredients.