This season, it all about peppermint. So easy to make, it only takes about an hour and a half. Here’s how to do it. Also place a stick in your hot chocolate, its yummy!
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. sugar
8 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 egg whites
3/4 tsp. peppermint extract
Red gel-paste or liquid food coloring
Burgundy gel-paste or liquid food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites and peppermint extract and beat on low speed until well combined, about 1 minute more. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture, beating until incorporated.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the dough to a medium bowl. (If using burgundy food coloring as well, divide dough into 2 bowls and add red coloring to one and burgundy to the other. Continue this step, repeating the process with each color.) Add food coloring to bowl, and mix with a spoon until dough is evenly colored. Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/8 round tip or a resealable bag with a corner cut off.
- To form each cookie, use a small offset spatula to spread 2 teaspoons of the uncolored dough into a 3 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch rectangle on a prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 apart. Pipe diagonal lines of red (and burgundy, if using) dough over the rectangles to resemble candy canes.
- Bake 1 sheet of cookies at a time until the edges are firm to the touch but have not yet taken on any golden color, 6 to 7 minutes. Working quickly, use a metal spatula to gently transfer one cookie to a flat surface. Firmly roll the cookie around the thin handle of a wooden spoon or the larger end of a chopstick, then slide cookie off and transfer to a large plate. Repeat rolling process with remaining cookies; if they become too cool and fragile for shaping, return them to the oven for 30 seconds or so to soften.
- Repeat baking and rolling process with remaining dough. (Be sure to cool cookie sheets completely before spreading out more batches.) Set finished cookies aside to cool completely, about 15 minutes, then store in an airtight container up to 2 days.
Clean & Pink offers the following cleaning and professional services in the Memphis, Tennessee for:
Residential Cleaning Services • Professional Residential Cleaning Services • Residential Home Sale Cleaning Services